Sep 16, 2005

Calm Like A Bomb, Ignite.

“Try A Scenario”

Scenario: While waiting for your baggage at an airport, you notice a young woman at the baggage carrousel. Although it’s daytime, she's wearing a black strapless evening gown, high-heeled shoes and coordinated jewelry. She collects a box wrapped in brown paper. What’s in the box? Who’s she meeting? Why is she dressed to the nines at the airport?

Like any other guy I would ask myself the above questions and come to the conclusion she’s strangely attractive at an unusual time of day. Unfortunately, I am insecure about meeting people in public places…especially females. The curiosity would burn me and a million ways to start a conversation would sift through my head. All the meanwhile eyes focused on her and the thought of just ignorance at the top of my mind, after all, ignorance is supposed to be bliss. Another thought of regretting not done sat at the top as well and both weighed heavily. I search the carrousel for my own bags and perhaps a window of opportunity. When I find my bags, I realize how I must look to her, just another guy without a clue and nowhere to go. I decided I might of as well get my bags before someone sees me staring and thinking I’m some kind of stalker or predator. As I reach to get my bags I let out a sigh and notice in the corner of my eye she’s looking at me. I don’t like it people look at me especially intently it’s unnerving and drives my mind to a million and a half tangents all improbable and unnecessary. In order to deal with this feeling, I do what I don’t see most others do. I said hello. She responded with a simple hi and a small smile and didn’t seem surprised by my greeting. I figured that it couldn’t hurt and since I’m here I might as well ask.

“Why are you dressed so nicely and of all the places, the airport?”

“Why are you dressed so plainly?” I looked down at my hooded sweatshirt that I wasn’t so sure when I last cleaned it…maybe a week ago, and then my denim pants that I also wasn’t sure when the last time it was washed. At least my socks and underwear were clean, that has to count for something. So I looked back up and gave her a reason to ponder.

“Why not? I’m comfortable and I’m trying not to grab anyone’s attention and I really don’t want to...I’m at the airport.” She thought for a moment for something to say and didn’t seem to come to a conclusion.

“My name’s Karissa, yours?” She stuck out her hand and balanced the box in her right hand…. why’d she stick out her left hand? This all seems bizarre anyway, so why not? I shook her left hand with mine, feeling a little awkward, physical contact is another thing I don’t do much.

“Charlie…or Chuck…or if you want really want to Charles as long as you don’t say it in a British, rich, pompous accent.”

“Wha?”

“…Don’t worry about it…you trying to start a new trend with the left hand?”

“For spontaneous introductions, yes.” This about when I noticed we were the only ones still standing in front of the carrousel from our flight and people from another flight had come to get their luggage. As I turned back, everything started to get dark and the image of Karissa faded into a distance and soon all I knew was darkness, a voice blaring, and the sensation of being somewhere strange. I opened my eyes to find myself, sitting in a chair at an airport terminal with my flight and rows being called onto the plane.

Still getting over the deep sleep and extreme weirdness of the dream, I grabbed my carry-on and walked into the plane in a state of half-attention and half-sleep. I fell asleep…again… on my flight, but with only reminiscent images and nothing I could really distinguish. I came into the terminal, not really thinking about the strange dream. Just that I’ve never had a dream where I met someone I had never seen before and they had a name. Though, dreams are only dreams and probably mean nothing. I came to the area of the carrousel and stopped…there…in front of the carrousel stood Karissa…little brown wrapped box and all. Well, I don’t know if her name is Karissa, but there’s only way to find out…

>> Giggles gave this to me! I don’t know if it’s any good or not, every time I re-read something I wrote, it sounds more and more worse. No, this was not an actual dream; it’s all made up. If you want to know what’s in the box, too bad, that’s Karissa’s business and not mine or yours. Sorry this took so long, but school is a major pain. I knew sophomore year was going to suck; it’s all in the word “sophomore”! I’m sure there was more I wanted to say, but I can’t think of anything.

4 comments:

Spontaneous Combustion said...

SHOTGUNNED!

xtraplanetary said...

Ooooh, chux0r, I like your story. You are a really good writer, make some more pretty things!!

Spontaneous Combustion said...

More pretty things? I can't just make pretty things...it was just kind of random. A present! I want a present! A more concerning question is...why am I getting a present?

(If you are wondering, my first comment was because I permanently deleted some spam comments, that's what that means henceforth)

Spontaneous Combustion said...

Already? Crap, I've been busy with schoolwork and all that other wonderful stuff.