“If I Were To Write A Book…”
If I were to write a book, it would be sci-fi and I would make it legendary to the point of Ender’s Game or possibly Dune. It would go a little something like this:
Captain Hilk looked out of the large viewport unto the black nothingness of space lit with small white dots of stars reaching into infinity. A small grey planet lay ahead, half cast in shadow from its sun. A thin man dressed in a blue uniform with a wide green stripe running down his shirt approached Hilk.
What does this scientist want now? Hilk thought to himself.
“Sir, this planet has three satellites, and two rings that aren’t parallel, almost perpendicular.” The scientist said with almost whiny voice. “The improbability of such is…phenomenal! Also, the planet the speed of the planet’s rotation is matched with its revolution such that a single day takes fourteen Coalition years.”
So? The details of the planet didn’t matter, the idea that this planet…what was the name…ah yes, Diturne has openly opposed the Coalition for many years and now they will pay with force, Hilk thought ignoring the scientist.
Hilk noticed the ship had come into close proximity of Diturne, the two rings shined from the reflecting sunlight. The outer ring was wide and stretched for what seemed endlessly fading into nothing. The inner ring…something was strange with the inner ring, it was almost perpendicular to the outer one, yes, but it didn’t seem to made of thousands upon millions of debris like the outer one. It seemed to be made of one large piece…yes, it was, it metallic and it gave off a green glow onto the side of Diturne that faced the sun. The inner ring was artificial and man made, it seemed to give lighted part of Diturne a livable atmosphere. Suddenly, the inner ring moved with frightening speed, it turned so that its side was facing directly at the ship’s viewport and it had rotated over almost a third of the planet’s surface in what seemed to be hardly any time. Then a moon seemingly slingshot itself parallel to the inner ring, it had was a dark red color with scarred by multiple craters. Most distinquished was the two large gun batteries on opposite sides of the moon.
Holy…that moon must be 2800 nullens in diameter, the gun batteries must be at least as long as its radius, and those things are pointing at us, Hilk’s mind raced with worry at the large defensive turret aimed at them.
The batteries started to glow with an intense blue radiance. One battery shot a large blue beam at the ship next to Hilk’s, it shot through and into another ship, then into nothing. The other battery shot into Hilk’s viewport, one last thought ran through the stiff captain at the oncoming blue death, We have underestimated…
>> That sounded a lot better in bed at 4 in the morning, oh well, it was fun to write. I got the idea of the character in question’s thoughts from the ultimate book Dune. Everything else I made up on my own. The planet’s name is pronounced “Die-turn”, from what I remember “di” is two in science (‘learned’ that in 7th grade, yes I also know I could use “bi” but I didn’t want to) and since there are only what seems to be two parts of the planet. I used “turne” from the word “nocturnal” because…well, the dark side of the planet and such. Also, the word "nullen" cannot be translated to English directly with just one word, it is a measurement that comes to about 4,000 feet in one "nullen". Yeah, I’m a geek/nerd/dork/loser/outcast/“that guy”/etc., but I don’t care. Sorry for any mistakes, I can't use "Tab" for some reason, so anything being said or thought is just separated an extra line.
Jun 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment